Monday, April 30, 2007

Grass

So... we spend weeks upon weeks fretting over grass...

"It's too cold to take the tarps off"
"oh noes! it's dead"
"work the seams"
"it's too wet"
"It's too dry"
"get 'er done"
"looking good"

Just when I thought it was safe (afterall, all the sod was down) a new twist

"Neal! Take the new guy and bury all the sod with sand"

Well... thats not what he said, but thats what he wanted us to do...

SO we managed to get 3.75 greens covered... The biggest one required about 500 lbs (I kid you not) of sand to complete... All of which needed to be scooped from buckets by hand and placed on the greens in an organised pattern...

Now the first problem, is each bucket of sand weighs about as much as I do (I can support myself from a bar with one hand, but I could barely support the bucket with two)

The second problem was my coworker... He's new, and seems afraid... I dont know what, but even my bosses assistant (the one who's usually quite keen on the "no talk =>better work" theory) comment on how quiet he was...

I tried for 4 hours (really I tried) but to no avail. He plays handbells... but wouldnt talk about them... he's taking science at school... but wouldnt talk about that... He's a christian... still nothing to talk about... He likes outdoorsy activities... but nothing came out of that either(I dont know what I could add to a conversation about that... so maybe it is my fault)...

Eventually I gave up and listened to the radio...

At least he's a really hard worker and follows directions well...

I dont know if I could have made it an entire day if the conversationw as lacking AND we couldnt accomplish anything...

7 comments:

morgan said...

he talked to me when i worked with him this morning. maybe it's just you...
;)

neal said...

LIES! ALL LIES!

Anonymous said...

what about the newer new kid? what are are thoughts on him??

Anonymous said...

oh... *sigh* and i miss amber,

neal said...

the only thought I had about him was "hey! he eats the same lunch I did when I was poor"

Anonymous said...

guess who's back... back again... Ber is back... tell a friend...
Hey Neal! Amber's back. (that was me telling a friend)

Anonymous said...

woot woot! neal dd you hear??? ambers back! that rocks!