Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Hands Down, Worst Work Day Ever

So, the title is subjective... Im sure others have had worse experiences... But this takes the cake for me...

Normally I dont work mornings... Ever... And anyone who knows my sleeping habits knows why mornings dont work for me... Actually, their lucky I show up for afternoon shifts either...

But needless to say, when I arrived at work today, I wasnt bright eyed and bushy tailed...

oh no... not even close...

In fact, I probibly resembled something more akin to a rabid badger than a squirrel...

I love mornings oh so much...

I drank some coffee before I ran into my boss, in the hopes that i could convince her that at that moment in time I hated her with a most unquenchable firey hate... well... at least be convincing enough that I could get more hours... Cuz really, I'll do it all over again for the paycheck...

Back to the story... I forced myself to be perky, so as not to piss off any of the customers (morning customers are much nicer than afternoon/evening customers... so I try to be nicer to them as well), and I stuggled to keep on to the false sense of "I <3 JOB" for as long as I could...

I was victorious... my bos left to her meeting having never known my true feelings...

I was home free... or so I thought...

I was just settling into the routine of dusting and serving when my co-worker informed me that she had been asked to do drive arounds (check out competitors prices and communicate back to head office with them) and to do the banking (we buy tons of rolls of change each week in order to have suficient pennies)...

I was then left by myself for the next hour...

Now your probibly thinking... "Oh poor boy had to manage the till all by himself for an hour"... We are a very busy store in a very dense neighbourhood.. and we despense slurpees (the goo of satan)... It was a very rough hour indeed...

She brought me back luch (bless her heart) and gave me twenty minutes to scarf it down before we put the full serve open sign back out...

But of course, rush of customers, and an hour later im eating cold chalupas and watery pop =/

My boss had told me to buy extra pizza subs when the sub guy comes... I haven't worked the shift in about 9 months, so I havent seen the sub guy in as long... And that would be assuming it was the same sub guy (which it, of course, wasnt)... So the McSweeny guy comes into the store with paper and pens and says "I'm here for the delivery"...

I go into drug deal mode "you got the subs"

"none said anything about subs"

"The boss wants extra pizza subs, you got what I need?"

"yeah, i got pizza subs, you sure your looking?"

"if you got what i need, I'm buying"

Needless to say, the conversation didnt progress quite like that, but I ended up buying and extra 20 pizza subs (my boss didnt say how many more she wanted... in fact, she didnt specify how many she would normally get)...

I do my payout for the McSweeny Subs, he drops them o ff in the display case, and I continue about my businaess... Not five minutes after Mr McSweeny leaves, a guy shows up carring an armful of subs and sandwhiches... And makes mention that he brought extra pizza subs but wasnt sure how many extra to bring because my boss didnt specify how many she wanted...

Crap

So now I have 20 pieces of evidence to hide, because I bought 20 pizza subs outside of contract... not to mention that the extra subs I bought aren't the subs that are included in the sub combo, which is the reason we ended up needing more subs in the first place

crap crap crap

Did I mention that we are in a very dense neighbourhood... and also that there are three elementary schools and two high schools within walking distance of my store...
and that we are one of two stores in the area... and we are the closest...

Needless to say, when the schools ended for the day, it was standing room only and I am yelling at kids to "take off [their] godamned roller blades or their going to slip on slurpee goo and break [their] goddamned heads"...

I didnt say goddamned, but I can assure you it was implied with the sound of my voice...

The comes time for second slurpee... I kid you not, the children in my town are like hobbitzes... They need to have first slurpee luch and second slurpee lunch and third slurpee dinner...

And this time they bring their little sibling and parents with stollers, which, despite the lack of baby, must be pushed around the store and through the throngs of customers, almost expecting the aisles to part like the red sea (or reed sea if you listen to Dr Muir and Dr Nelson)...

Thats when the phone calls start...

The first one is nice enough "I had asked your boss to have my car towed because it had stalled, but she had faxed the owner information to the wrong place, and I'm not able to do something because the place where my car is doesnt have that information... can you get your boss to fax it to the right place"

I informed him that my boss was at a meeting and wouldnt be in again today, and he asked if I could do it... I said I would call my boss, see what was up and cal him back... he said "ok but just in case, im going to come out to get a copy for myself"...

I phone my boss, but she was with corporate type people. and told me she would phone back...

I go back to serving the throngs of people..

Another phone call...

"Did you sort everything out with your boss?"

"nope"

"well just get the papers, I'll take them myself"

"I need to get my boss to tell me what papers and where they are"

"okay I'll call back"

I go back to serving customers... when it dies down a bit I call my boss again... no answer...

another phone call

"I'm outside, you got the papers"

"no I havent gotten the papers, Im still waiting on my manager"

"why do you need a manager, just print it off yourself"

"I dont have access to the printer"

"theres a computer right in front of you"

"I dont even know what I would be printing off, and the computer is in the office"

"What kind of retards are they hiring these days, its not my fault your too stupid to do this just pretend that your not stupid and print it off Im in a hurry and I dont have time to wait for a fucking idiot god..."

click... i hung up and started serving the throngs of customers...

another phone call... I let my coworker answer it...

he goes on a rant, she informs him that we're really busy and that if he wants he can come wait in the store, and we'll help him in person as soon as we can...

He says something alaong the lines of her being a lying bitch (it starts with c and rhymes with unt) and that he can see the store and its not busy at all... She informs him it is, and he goes on a long rant in which she holds the phone away from her ear... god only knows what he said...

She hangs up...

It rings again and she answers "cloverdale petro can"

he hangs up...

About ten minutes later, we get a phone call... from his wife, saying that we should conduct our business better and announce what the company is when we answer the phone and that its our fault that this situation occurred and that she is not impressed and blah blah blah blah blah...

That was my day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Neal, Amber here. All I can tell you is this: I CAN COMPLETELY SYMPATHIZE!! Lol. I waitress in the most or at least second most popular restaurant in my 5000 pop. town and we get some pretty stupid/arrogant/ignorant people sometimes. All I can say is, thank God my boss moved me to cooking and gave me a raise so I don't have to deal with them anymore. Want an example? I come up to a table, with some water glasses:

Amber: Hi, how is everyone today?

Customers:*blank stare*

A: would anyone like anything to drink?

Customers:*blank stare*

A:*clears throat* so uh, water's good for everyone then? *pause* okay, I'll be back in a bit...

**FIVE MINUTES LATER**

A: Are you ready to order?

Customers:*blank stare before blurting out* COFFEE

A: Alright, did you need a few minutes yet to look at the menu?

Customers: *Blank stare*

Yeah, it goes on like that... and those are the good ones. The worst are the ones that are indeciseive, can't read the menu so they ask you EVERYTHING when you have 50 other things to do... I'm sure we can compare some notes by the end of the summer! Anyways, hope your next shift is better than this one!