Sunday, July 18, 2004

Event Filled Weekend!

So I'ts been a little while since I have updated this (again)

Sorry everyone... I know I know...

But i have had an event filled weekend (as Im sure you could have guessed from the name).

There were numerous thefts to be had this weekend. Actually, all the ones Im going to be telling you about happened on saturday/sunday night/morning.

So Im doing my baking (I bake all the pastries and yummies that our store sells... when it says fresh its not a lie, it is at most less than a day old) minding my own business, and serving customers (as per my job description) when out of nowhere some customers enter.  (yes out of nowhere, I added that for the sake of dramatization... this could potentially be a very boring story without the drama as added by me)

I, of course, stop what im doing to watch them because customers are less likely to steal when you watch them. They actually didnt pocket anything (unless they managed to shove a province newspaper down their pants)  but simply stepped up to the counter each carrying a 1L bottle of pepsi. Now there is nothing unusual about this, nothing at al, but the fun begins here.

You see, the first person pays for the pepsi, turns around and looks at the other person.

says "Oh, hey, I bought you one already"

the second one loks at him, nods and starts to walk back to the cooler.

He takes three steps turns 90 degrees and walks out the door.

Bottle of pop still in hand, within plain sight of the cameras, myself and the other customers in the store. He walks to his car, which parked in plain sigh (white pickup lp# plainly viewable) turns onto 64th ave and drives off...

All the while Im sitting there thinking "OMG"

I suppose thats what he was expecting but the fact still remains I have the right to refuse him service, and his buddy's transaction information is on our computer... I dont know what good it'll do, especially since we rarely have the cheapest gas in Cloverdale...

 
My second story happens about 20 minutes after the first.

I was helping a customer count coin (he had a collection of nickels he was tring to roll so as to get it out of his collection and possibly into something edible)

Another customer walks in, and mentions to me "Did you just sell a bunch of water to those kids?" "no i re[plied" "Well theyre taking them anyways"

So we have had a lot of water stolen in the last few days (30 cases of 12 on one night last week) so our boss is willing to press charges on anyone so much as breathing in the evaporated moisture from a bottle they have yet to purchase.

So I instantly call the cops, get a few witnesses to verify the lp# I was writing down. Set up a police file with all the information of the vehicle and the such and such and on and on.

I felt like a knob, but my boss made me feel like a hero...

 
My third story (as I reported it to my boss) was me. I took a cookie.

A chocolate chip cookie.

And I didnt pay.

And I have no plans on it.

 
And my fourth story is funny as heck (maybe not a 'hahaha' funny, but definately in a siruationally ironic type of hillarity).

turns out some kids had been in the store while I was on the phone with the cops about the water.

They had taken that time in order to pocket some candy and chocolate bars.

Then they had paid for a few things and left the store.

Then they went to a deserted alleyway where they divied up their stash.

Someneighbours thought it was suspicious that kids were parked in an alleyway so late at night, so they called the cops.

The cops showed up to investigate.

The kids were not intoxicated nor did the cops smell any illegal substances.

But the kids were acting suspicious none the less.

So the cops began questioning them.

Eventually the topic of the collection of choclate bars and candy came up, which they claimed to have purchased.

The police officers felt that the topic of candy made the kids act a little bit weirder, so they contiued, asking where the candies had been purchased.

My store was mentioned.

One cop stayed to make sure the kis didnt go anywhere and one came over to petro can to ask me if I hda sold these specific candies to these kids (we dont give reciepts to all customers so they wouldnt necissarily have had one for the cops).

No longer had the petro cop radio-ed then the kids fessed up to having had stole the candy.

The cop told me what was up (and all the events that had occured up to then) and then left.

He came back about 30 minutes later to inform me that the kids had not yet eaten much of the candy, and returned to me about $12 worth of unopened merchandise, as well as a large caramilk bar (missing a bite) and a Fruit&Creme candy snack (its like starburst).

He also informed me that my boss probibly wouldnt need to press charges as (because the childrens parents were not home or able to be contacted) the kids would spend an amount of time in jail (up to the time that one of the parents could be reached and could come to release them).

I think I'm going to learn the names of all the graveyard police officers in cloverdale by the end of summer... I think it would be fun if they also knew me by first name...

Oh well!

Gnight

No comments: