Friday, July 16, 2004

Twit

So, things were pretty interesting today at work...
 
You see, there is this little thing in this world called theft. Although most people have the morals enough to prevent them from taking what isn't theirs, so people have been denied of the skills to determin between right and wrong. I attribute this to a lack of beatings as a child, but I am sure there are a hundred other reasons why this may be (perhaps this person should be beaten now, just to make sure)...
 
Anyways, before you start jumping to conclusions, I am not speaking of a stupid customer without enough brains to get caught, I am refering to an emplyee who was stupid enough to steal from his boss. Yes madams and sirs, we have some insider theft on our hands. (please refer back to the Intercom post... this is the same employee that I complain about there)
 
The way he was doing it was slightly ingenius (I use the term slightly because his downfall negates any geniusness caused by his clever cash clepto-- my English teacher would be proud of that alliteration)... He would scan all the items into the computer, just like a good little employee. But then instead of pressing [Cash] -> [Enter] to ring it through, he pressed [clear] -> [open register]. He then completed the transaction as per usual, providing the correct amount of change and all, but he would pocket the cash that would have gone to the till. Since there were no items rung through, no cash was missing, and any items that were noticed to be gone when inventory came around were attributed to thieving children.
 
Now, enter the downfall (cue clown music). He has a gambling addiction.
 
Wait...
 
To call it an addiction would degrade crack heads and alcoholics alike.
 
okay, so this guy really REALLY likes his scratch tickets... REALLY REALLY likes them. And I assume that is what lead to his thieving... But when he started spending more money than he was making on lotto tickets (and Im not saying that it would have been like "he spent $300 but he only made $295"... no it was more like "How is he buying $110 worth of lotto tickets every night... lets watch the videotapes to see whats going on")
 
I kinda wanted to be the one who called him to tell him... I think it would have been fun. I did get to write a note about him in the internal log, telling everyone that he's to be treated like a (much disliked) customer. I got some level of gratification out of that.
 
Now I am going to try to get as many of my friends hired at that store as I can. Contact me if you might be interested (the sooner the better)...

No comments: