Sunday, March 05, 2006

Bell Choir Tour

Yes, thats right... It's time for friendly recap time with Neal of my friendly expedition to eastern alberta...

The tour itself wasn;t too bad... The places we went were well within the acceptable travel time (anymore than about three hours and I start getting stir crazy... but then again, so does everyone else)...

Our first stop was provost, and a visit with the kiddies at the local schools (we had a mix of the public and catholic students in our performance) which was somewhat good (although it could have been better). Afterwards the bells had a workshop with some of the kids... THis would have been nice if I had gotten one of the good children... but I never do. My child was the spawn of satan...

"whats this?" "please don't touch that, our conductor is explaining something"

"what does this do?" [clank] "put that down and listen please"

"I wanna play the mallets" "don't play anything right now, my conductor is trying to tell you something

"I wanna ring two bells at once" *grab* [clank] "those aren't mean't to be hit together"

"this glove is too big" *grab* "don;t play with the bells without your gloves on"

"why" "cuz it ruins the bells"

"how" "if you were listening, you would have heard my teacher explain why"

"i'm listening now" "the oils in your hands can..."

"what does this do" "put your gloves on please"

"why" "cuz you're going to wreck the bells"

"no I won;t" [clank] "here, play with the chimes"


It went on and on like this for the entirity of the workshop...

THen we paid a visit to the fudge lady... Oh god... Why god why does fudge have to come in so many amazing flavours? On the plus side, it's diabetic fudge, so I should be safe... sort of...

OUr concert that night was... well... special...

The gymnasium was a... less than thrilling... accoustic to perform in...

I tried my best, but when you can bearely hear yourself, let alone other people in bells or choir, there is only so much you can do...


Our billet that night was the fudge lady assistant... Needless to say there was fudge to be had by all... So much fudge.

I got to sleep on a hide-a-bed... which is always an experience... Every cross bar and every spring managed to dig itself into my back and side whilst I was trying to sleep... But I got the bed to myself, so it could have been worse...

We had another visit with the fudge lady in the morning for those who didnt get a chance to go the night before... And more fudge was stockpiled... And then we were off to lloydminster...

Lloyd started out for me dropping off the choir so they could work with the high school... I went with the bells to do a workshop with the bell choir from the united church... It was boring as snot (and I mean really boring)... I was so desperate for entertainment... but none was to be had...

Afterwards we went to pick the choir back up and we eaded out for some free time at a local pool hall (a last minute suggestion from the youthish person from the church we were performing at that night)...

It was good times... ALthough I think I actually preferred eating my deep fried goodies over playing pool, but noone else had to know that... well... except all the people that I've already told how much I hate pool... which is pretty much everyone...

Our concert that night went very well (if I do say so myself). I managed to do some things musically that I havent really had a chance to do (getting all the right notes in a particular song for example)... Bah... good times good times...

There was a lot of silence after our final song... SO it either means they were confused or in awe... I would like to think it had more to do with awe... but I have been wrong before...

Our billets that night were amazing... The force fed us nachos and beer and provided a most wonderous bed... It was a spectacular bed... I don;t think I could sing its praises enough... I really do love that bed...

We ended up watching reality bites on the way back to edmonton... A good movie, i think... But I don;t think i like Janine Garofalo...

meh...

so thats my weekend...

6 comments:

-J said...

But hey, the force fed Nachos and Beer were pretty damn good. Don't forget the breakfast too.

(I'm trying to avoid working on a paper thats due in 7 hours)

morgan said...

haha, i love reality bites. i especially enjoy its use of School House Rock tunes...

"i'm just a bill. yes i'm only a bill. and i'm sitting here on capital hill..."

neal said...

conjunction-junction, whats your function?

morgan said...

hooking up words and phrases and clauses!

does it make me a dork that i know all those songs from the actual show and not the movie?
... little known fact - i have the 30th anniversary dvd of SHR. i watch it a lot :) *blush*

neal said...

bwahahahhahha

I don't th9ink I would make it more than an hour...

Anonymous said...

hehehhee i am so glad you had such an awesomly boring time, and another lovely encounter with children I c!
*hugs* Linda