Sunday, March 26, 2006

Pandora

I may have plugged it before, but I really can't get over how amazing this site is...

PANDORA

As an example... I entered in a band which I have just recently noticed that i enjoy (Panic! at the disco)...

As per usual, the first song is by the artist I chose... and the next few songs, it attempts to isolate my musical tastes... So for three songs I make sure to tell the program what i think of the songs... If I like it or not...

So the program tries to figure out what aspects the songs that i like have that the songs that i don't like didnt have...

This never takes very long (maybe I'm predictable)... But tonight it was particularly accurate...

After the initila widling period, the artists provided were:

-the arctic monkeys
-fallout boy
-the killers
-gorillaz
-bedoin soundclash
-franz ferdinand
-postal service

(with no crap in between)

But not only was it able to pic out the artists I would like (all being cd's I own) the program managed to go for the songs from each cd which i like... and with the exception of franz ferdinand (I prefer 'dark of the matinee' over 'you're the reason I'm leaving') it managed to pick out the 'favourite' by each artists...

If you havent had a chance to fiddle around with pandora yet, you really should...

It's really great for finding new and obscure bands... I mean, if it can pick out the popular bands for me with such accuracy, it should be able to produce a few unknowns that I have never been exposed..

1 comment:

morgan said...

"DANCE DANCE! we're falling apa..." - oh fallout boy...