Monday, August 01, 2005

Enter the Sandman

So my second shift of training ended up being not near as bad...

She finished in just under 3 hours, which is leaps and bounds beyond her performance the night before...

I actually ended up getting quite a few magazines... Including the new Adbusters, blender, and cosmo (I finally found out what 4 gyno emergencies I should know about... so if I ever have a tampon or a condom lodged in my vagina, I'll know what to do...)

But asides from that, I had a very despicable person come through...

Well... I think this particular sort of person is terrible... but others may disagree...

Anyways...

They come up to the counter with a loaf of bread, a 1L jug of milk, and ask for a pack of cigarettes...

I announce the total... He starts counting nickels and dimes...

not enough...

"how much is it, just the milk and the cigarettes?"

I take off the bread, announce the new total... he recounts the money (I have no idea why he had to recount it... its not like there were gonna be a bunch more coin to pay with...

the he asks "how much for jsut the cigarettes"

I take off the milk, announce the price...

He pays for the pack of smoke...

And then he buys a lighter... (we have matches for free but he wanted a lighter)...

This man was wearing a weding ring... And most likely had kids who would be eating dry imitation frosted flakes the next morning (and probibly again for lunch as they would have no bread for sandwhiches)...

I wanted to scold him...

"FOR SHAME, SIR!!!"

But I didn't... im beginning to be quite apathetic... Emphesize the word pathetic...

I swear this job is not good for learning to care about people...

Now it seems whenever a lady comes in and talks to me for 20 minutes about how her husband beats her, I'm thinking for most of the conversation "he's obviously not hitting you hard enough if you keep going back to him"...

Seriously... They have helplines and shelters and restraining orders for people like this...

I mean, my job is stressful enough as it is... I don't need to be thinking "what if she goes and hangs herself tonight, and i could have prevented it"

Thats it, I resolve to never ask a person how their day is from now on...

I also refuse to answer if people ask how my day is, lest they feel obligated to tell me about their day without my request for such information...

Done and done

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you do if you get a tampon or condom lodged in you vagina?

Jenny

neal said...

There are techniques for positioning yourself which better expose the vagina, and allow for easier 'fishing' for the lost accessory...

But not having a vagina has prevented me from testing out the strategies, so I dont know if theyre hogwash, or what...

Anonymous said...

you should bring your cosmo so i have something to read tomorrow. seeing how i do have a vagina i think i will get alot more out of it then you did.

P.S. looking forward to not remembering tomorrow night! Yay us!!!