Friday, August 19, 2005

Winding Down

So as it stands now, there are two shifts over two days before my summer career comes to a screetching halt...

Well, hopefully not a screetching halt... I wouldn't want to screw things up too bad lest I wish not for employment over x-mas break...

But I digress...

As I look back upon my summer, and the things I've learned, I can't help but think I've had a good summer (dont worry everyone, this entire post wont be lovey-dovey so you can continue to read)

First and foremost, I learned that people are able to bring stupid by the bucketfull. I cannot help but think that if the percentage of outragously stupid people / customers in our store genuinely reflects that of the general population, then there is a very high possibility that i have some very VERY stupid friends... And what really scares me is that I don't see [m] any of my friends as being very stupid at all... Which means I am, in fact, desensitized to their stupidity...

Oh woe is me, I know the great evil of the world, but I lack the discernment to rid it from my personal life...

On a side note, if any of you would like to come forward as being keenly inept, I would be much obliged...

Second... getting drunk and making out with friends is bad... very bad... on the plus side I'm in another province now... perhaps distance can restore... we'll see...

Third did I mention the stupid people... Oh my word!

Honestly, if I didnt have a mind like a sieve, you would all be long tired of my posts, and I would have most likely have one of the most actively posted blogs on the net...

But alas, I am probibly the worst person at remembering things, and it is only when I take notes at work that I can remember many of my stories (no seriously, I have taken notes on most occasions... so as to allow the stories to be as unindulged as possible... Although i think the time the old lady took a swim in the puddle of gasoline gets a little bit better every time I tell it...)

But, since I've bored you all with my long look back post, I'll get to what you're really here for... Stupid people...

Okay, so a peeve of mine is when people don;t tip the gas jockey... Now, I'm not saying that everytime we're out pumping gas, but if we spend 5 minutes in the blaring sun wearing a thick teflon coated petrocan standard shirt washing all the oddly shaped windows on your car (and going out of our way to wash the bird poop off of the roof of your car) followed by a few minutes of checking and topping off your oil, followed by 5 minutes of checking the pressure of your tires, ensuring they are in the desired range for the make of the tires, and then equilizing them... throw me a goddamn bone!

Especially if you are driving a newer model sports car, are purchasing super premium fuel, and appear to be a physically fit semi-middleaged adult.

Here's a note for all of you that don;t know. When a gas station charges an extra few cents for fuel, you are paying to offset the cost of having an additional person on staff to man the full serve station... And we do not see a single cent of it personally...

Our goal is to provide people who are unable to pump their own gas with the fuel they need to go about their daily lives (unable covers the physically unfit, the untrained, and those whom have other tasks to complete- such as making phone calls or completeing paperwork, etc)

We do the other tasks (changing oil, washing windows, checking tires, fetching items from the store) not because it is required, but because we have a spare time between the start and the finish of the gas pumping in which we aim to make for a better experience for you, in the hopes that the added effort will garnish us some addition income...

Sadly, it doesn't...

Well, rarely it does...

I get the same lady that comes in all the time, and she always tips... usually its a dollar or so, but some days, if her windows are shinning extra well, or her oil needs a little bit of topping, she'll find an extra loonie or two to add to the pot...

And trust me, when I see this lady, I drop everything I am doing to run and help her... A few dollars buys her some premo service...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was doing a really good job of getting the windows on a larger truck, when I overheard the conversation happening on the inside of the vehicle

"I bet you he expects a tip"

"screw him, he's already getting 0.04 a litre..."

Trust me, my well manicured squeegeeing (I get comments on how I handle the squeegee like a master) turned into complete shambles...

By the time I was finshed, three of the windows looked like japanese terrace farming arials, and I went out of my way to ensure that I couldn't quite get the big gob of bird shit off the back window (fancy that)...

The only thing that kept me from going the way of the peeved chef was that i think they had the advantage of watching me as I tried to pee in their gas tank.

Long story short, if a gas station attendant offers the services but you aren't willing to pay for them, politely refuse, otherwise, go to self serve and wash your own windows...

And as a side note... Even if I were packeting the 4 cents our station charges for full service... on a $10 purchase, that is 40 cents (on days where prices are low)... 40 cents for 10 minutes work = $2.40 an hour...

Look at my bank account go!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Neal...
You can't go back to Edmonton, I'm not ready to have a "Stupid People Story - Free" Life. Yeah I see stupid people, but I don't have the eloquence for telling stories like you do.
I'm going to kidnap you today and lock you away so you can't go...except to work, so that we can all enjoy more stories...
Ah ha ha!

Anonymous said...

On a side note, if any of you would like to come forward as being keenly inept, I would be much obliged...

what does keenly inept mean?? and yes you'll have to define both words, i AM that stupid

neal said...

keenly

adv : in a keen and discriminating manner;

keen

adj : intense; piercing: (a keen wind)
in·ept


adj : Not apt or fitting; inappropriate.

Displaying a lack of judgment, sense, or reason; foolish: (an inept remark.)

Bungling or clumsy; incompetent: (inept handling of the account.)

Astley said...

Neal, I will come forward....but I think you already knew about me :0P....if not, well, now you know and can give shannon her wish...more stupid stories....mostly about me....but...that's besides the point!

Ah, nevermind.

;)

Anonymous said...

soo let me get this right your saying

On a side note, if any of you would like to come forward as being "intensely Displaying a lack of judgment," I would be much obliged...

Anonymous said...

although i realize this is a slightly delayed response to your comments, i have to say that provincial distance over a semester long period of time will most definatly aid in healing most wounds.....even getting drunk and making out with your friends kind of wounds....at least i hope it does