Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter

So today was nice...

Went to church... Saw people from there (that I haven't seen since last summer since I didnt attend church over xmas)... Surprised to find out that the rumour mill had not yet left people knowing that I had made the switch to edmonton... I suppose if I had knocked some girl up, everyone would have heard about it by now... But I can't really be angry because gossip didnt get around, can I?

I suppose not.

Tonights dinner was care of my brothers girlfriends mom. Beautiful dinner, but I didn't really take into consideration the "third wheel" complex... I entertained myself with the kitten named patches... Mostly I just made the cat chase things, and made fun of my brother... partly because it's all I know how to do (what is a family get together without trying to start a fight) and partly because it was the only socially acceptable thing I knew how to do (everyone seemed to make fun of the step dad as well, but I didnt feel comfortable since he was three times my size and quite the red neck... I'm sure my choice of piercings was already testing the limitations of his acceptance...

Yes...

So dinner was fun...

Hmm...

I can go back to edmonton soon... That's nice.

Maybe I just miss video games... if I had known that we had high speed net access, I would have brought my games (and would have missed out on church this morning)...

I suppose it's for the best...

Oh yeah. I came to a realization today. Since it's really really official now, that this is no longer home, it is most likely right that I stop calling Zion my home congregation. Which almost certainly ends the chapter of my life as being 'lutheran' Neal...

Yesterday, Neal with a bedroom at his parents place died. Today, Neal as a lutheran died.

I have not made it a secret that I have several issues with the lutheran church. Please let it be stated that my decision has nothing to do with 'lutheran theology', but simply that I see shades of grey where I am told there is only black and white...

Yes... so...

I'm having my first guest crash at my house in years...

I can see it now (as I've seen it before):

puzzling stare at house
puzzling stare at Neal
puzzling stare at barn
puzzling stare at Neal
puzzling stare at tractor
puzzling stare at Neal
puzzling stare at cows
puzzling stare at Neal
puzzling stare at hay
puzzling stare at Neal
puzzling stare at mud
puzzling stare at Neal
...
puzzling stare at Neal

Really, when you consider how redneck my family is (and I'm not talking "lets go to Calgry Stampede and buy sily hats" redneck, but "how many non-fuctional cars can we fit in our front yard" redneck), it really is a wonder that i turned out the way I did.

I can count no less than 6 cars, 3 trucks, 2 vans, a motorhom, a school bus, 2 boats, and enough tires to keep the springfield tire fire burning for another 30 odd years.

Not to mention my house which (prior to having the vinyl sidings added) was slated to be the site of ghosts or aliens or something in a TV show (does anyone remember the show 'millenium'?) due to it's delapitation and grunge-i-ness.

Then theres the family (bless there hearts) who still think the alex fraser bridge is the longest bridge in the world (becasue it connects india and china)...

I'm pretty sure they couldnt find india on a map (unless it was a map of india, of course)...

Yes my friends, this was my childhood...

But before i say something offensive, I think I shall sleep...

gnight...

11 comments:

Sassan Sanei said...

Neal can you explain sometime WHY people would keep so many dilapidated vehicles in their front yard? I see that in the countryside around here (southwestern Ontario), and there is this one house down the street where I live with a small collection in the driveway. I just don't get it, but have never worked up the nerve to knock on a door and ask.

Also, not to sound like the total engineer who watches way too much Discovery Channel that I am, but at the time of its construction the Alex Fraser Bridge was in fact the longest cable-stayed bridge in the world. When it lost that distinction it was to another bridge in Vancouver, the Skybridge, but both have been surpassed in length since then.

neal said...

Near as I can tell, the vehicles on the lawn is a direct result of what i call "walmart" syndrom.

It is a moderately harmless, but very embarassing disease which appears to be genetically tranmitted (although it appears to be a recessive allele since both my genetic parents were not rednecks).

This disease presents itself in two forms (sometimes together).

1) Is the inability to throw anything away (for it may have use at a later, yet undetermined, date)

2) Is the inability to pass up a good deal. If the price of something is determined to be a good deal, it will be purchased, regardless of use or necessity.

So... to explain the cars:

person buys car drives it around for many years, car ceases to function, sp you park it somewhere incase you get that broken piece or, in case a car you own at a later date needs pieces that are still good inside old car. You buy new car. Same story (so you park it and keep it as a parts bank). buy a third car. Buddy offers you a car at a really good price, only problem is it doesn't run (only needs one part, which (conveniently) none of your three cars have). It's a really good deal, so now you have four. you're driving along, you see signs for the police impounded car auction. You buy 6 cars and a road flare for $300. Conveniently, all of the cars you now own cannot be added together to produce a functioning car.

This goes on and on...



And as for the alex fraser bridge, I am aware of it's former titles, but how would they make racist jokes about truth?

morgan said...

i call it the 'surrey syndrome'... but to each his (or her) own, i guess. i'm allowed to take shots at surrey though, because i have family that live there... i also have family in *shudder* delta...

Sassan Sanei said...

Ah... I get it. Probably for the same reason that I have many skeletons of former computers in my basement storage room (just in case I ever need a 4X CD-ROM drive or a 1998-era SoundBlaster card or, and I swear I'm not making this up, a Macintosh SE/30; and one day I'm going to sell them all on eBay, even though the cost to mail them will exceed their market value). I can't just throw them out!! So I think I understand, except for the school bus.

neal said...

it was the dream of one of my siblings to turn the school bus into a, sort of, hippy wagon... or something...

Needless to say, that didnt get very far...

-J said...

Puzzling stare? I am disappointed neal, it takes more then a house, a barn,and some old cars to puzzle me about you.

As for the Lutheran Church and their many shades of grey, All I can say is stay away from the other synod, EVERYTHINGS grey there

neal said...

lol

careful justin, there are som elcic members who frequent my page that might jump in and defend their synod ;)

-J said...

I can defend my views on the ELCIC fairly well.

And Just to avoid another fire fight with what I say and what I mean, There are only certain elements of the ELCIC which I do not agree with. Some churches in the ELCIC do not go along with these certian veiws and opinions. As such I have no problem with them, only certain elements (and churches) I disagree with, (if you want to know more someone email me) Then again there are many things about the LCC church I do not agree with (just to be fair)

Astley said...

i know about the tire and car stuff. Both my ex boyfriend's family and some of my own country family have done that. It's not just a surrey thing. It's a packrat thing and those living on large lots have the space to be a packrat with bigger things such as cars and car parts.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Anonymous said...

Neal, as you know I have not had the best of childhood's either and I want to say that I am praying for you. Also know that Jesus will love you if you are Lutheran or not. I hope you find the peace from God that you are trying to find.

Anonymous said...

no longer a luthern eh? well i can really say that i am indifferent about the whole thing. but since you dont wanna be a luthern anymore there is always room for one more in my fun filled religion i like to call roman catholic, i mean c'mon if you give the priest most of your income you can shave a couple thousand years from purgatory! what better deal can you get?

-matty k



p.s just kidding god

p.p.s have you guys ever seen "battle pope" the comic book? the pope kicks serious ass!

p.p.p.s just kidding mr pope