Sunday, April 16, 2006

Official

So it's official

Before I get into my story of the day, I'll do a little bit of explaining..

Im in BC as of the time being, for easter. Came down with friends for a wedding (well, they came down for the wedding, i came down for easter).

Yay BC fun.

But yes. Back to the story.

Home is officially not home anymore. How do I know this?

Well, it's simple you see. I have come home to the house that is no longer my own. None of the horses are the same, most of the cats aren't the same. The truck isn't the truck I left my parents with. There is city water coarsing through the pipes in the washroom. As I type this, i am typing at a computer which is connected to high speed internet access.

And the final nail in the coffin. My room no longer exists.

The bed is gone, my posters are gone, everything that comforted me for 13 years of my life is missing.

I can't really say I'm overly saddened or surprised. My decision to leave was made first, so really, I only have myself to blame.

But over the last 4 years, there was always this room. My room.

I suppose in my own naiivity, I thought it would always remain as I left it. An eternal shrine to my former self. Always waiting for the next time I would come home to play videogames after staying out all night to avoid my family.

I haven't played video games in here since I graduated from high school.

All the CD's left on the shelf are embarassing (although, perhaps i should take them with me, i mean, they're probibly cool-retro cd's by now)

There are remnants of my trip to europe covered by a layer of dust. There are remnants of my baptism, covered by a layer of dust. Remnants of fish i havent had since grade 9, covered by a layer of dust.

Dust covers traces of last summer, in the form of a pack of cigarettes and a "lighter for a loonie" petro can scripto piece of crap.

The books gramma bought me in grade 8 (most of them read) now sit in a cupboard. I don;t suppose it will be too long before they go the way of the bed and the posters.

Such is the life of one who is growing up, I suppose. If i was more poetic, I'm sure I would write an ode to loss of innocence. Memories of that fill this room as well. Things I suppose I would long to forget, were it not for the room blaring the memories back to me as I type this.

What can happen in 13 years? It's a lot of time. I can't even fathom the amount of time I've spent in between these walls. How much time I wasted doing the things I love. How much time I spent doing things that bored me. This room was my childhood.

It isn't anymore.

Easter 2006: Neal has proof Surrey isn't his home anymore.

When can I go back to Edmonton so i can lock myself in my room (and cry)

6 comments:

Astley said...

soon...soon...very soon. I'll pick you up by 5:45 hopefully (on Tuesday)...we have to make time once on the road.

and then you'll be home in Edmonton.

-J said...

Home is where the heart is.

5:45??? thats early.

morgan said...

what's this? if i didn't know any better i'd think that neal was actually feeling sentimental... *GASP*
but, in all seriousness... i can totally sympathize, since my mom moved to kamloops... but you will always have the memories (holy sappy, batman!) and the 'innocence' and everything else that was 'lost' all played a part in who you are today. that's something you will always have (even if you sometimes don't want it)

i think we might have to steal your door so you CAN'T lock yourself in your room...

Anonymous said...

wow morg, kinda sappy youself.
when my parents moved out of our house, my biggest problem was thqt they painted the "my room" ie: the spare room(alone called my room b/c they think ill feel loss) seafoamy-teal. which they made up for by also putting a tv in "my room" =^ )

brent said...

it gets even more weird when your parents move..so not even the house is the same house at all. Then home isn't home for sure.

Anonymous said...

I guess in the sense, I, yes, me, have lost my home several times over. First moving from 200acre farm (hick) in the cloverdale hole to a suburban area, then to the UK, then out of my parents house, then they moved to another part of the UK (and refused to give me a room when I came to visit). I then moved into a friend's house, then to canada again with my g'rents and then I got married... I am sure this last move won't be the last 'home' I will have, or lose. I say... Get use to it.. however, with moving so often and not having a parents in the armed forces is kind of weird... In the past 5 years, I have moved 12 times. Wow! That's probly more than an army person!

The unfortunate event of this is... I still try to fit my life into 6 boxes and am very hesitant to decorate.

Fortunately! I am definately not a pack rat!