Saturday, August 14, 2004

Please Prepay

So, as has been the topic of many of my previous posts, we require people to pay for their gas before they pump it.

Now I don't know if this is that complicated of a topic, but we ahve a lot of people that just dont seem to be able to wrap their heads around it.

Yesterday, I almost got into a shouting match with a younger person about the necessity to prepay. i think he may have simply forgotten who the employee is and who the customer is. I know policy, he does not. I know how prepay works on our system, he does not. I am right, he is not.

So...

He pulls up to the pump, as would be usual to a customer, and lifts up the nosal. I do my 'please prepay' spiel over the intercom and he hangs up the nosal and comes inside. He puts $40 on the counter and says, 'I'm gonna need about $50 worth of gas.'

I inform him that I cannot allow for a prepay without the the actual amount of intended purchase in my hand.

He informs me that the $40 is collateral for his $50 intended purchase and that he'll "be right back with the rest" (LMAO!!! like I havent heard that a million times before...)

I inform him that the only valid amount of money for collateral for a $50 purchase is at least $50. (this concept is not foreign... is a bank gonna give you a $100k loan if you put a 1983 ford taurus with 400k km up as collateral?)

He begins to argue, telling me that I can and that I will and blah blah blah.

I begin to argue that if he leaves the store with only leaving $40 collateral then he only going to be getting $40 worth of gas.

This went back and forth for about 2 minutes.

Finally I made up some lie about how every purchase showing up on my bosses computer and that not complying with the manditory pre-pay rule was considered serious and that I was not willing to lose my job for the sake of him getting more than $40 worth of gas.

He bought it put another $20 into the pool and left...

No comments: