Saturday, August 07, 2004

High School Friends Revisited

This is a continuation of a former post in which I moaned about people who ignored me in high school but now want to be all chummy-chummy when they see that I'm making the mad money working for minimum wage at a gas station.

That post can be found at (for those of you too lazy to look for yourself):

http://nealwroberts.blogspot.com/2004/06/high-school-friends.html


Anyways, on with my story.

I forgot my name tag somewhere... I think at home... I could be wrong... I'll have to look for it later.

Anyways, its gone, I can't find it, and I need to get to work.

So when I arrive at work, and the time comes for me to get into uniform in order to start, I began contemplating my options for a new nametag.

Initially, I was just going to put on a 'Hi! Im New Here!' tag, but that didn't seem interesting enough.

I then considered borrowing Gurpreets nametag. All the fun I could have, just imagine.

"Is you're name really gurpreet?"

"Yeh, my Parents were hippies and totally into the near eastern movement long before it was popularised in western society" (for those of you who don't know me too well, I would NEVER be mistaken for an Indian-- person from India, not the spear-hunting-Sieux type-- I have skin pigmentation to put snow to shame)

I ran this idea past Gurpreet, but she didn't seem to keen on it (especially the using her name as reference to my parents being hippies)...

So I was left with the third option, using Adrian's nametag (adrian is the twit that can be found here:

http://nealwroberts.blogspot.com/2004/07/twit.html )

So needless to say (because I have to have a name tag and when you put the 'H!INH' tag on, people will ask you youre name anyways) I was, for the night, going to be known as Adrian.

For the most part this isn't a problem.

Im the only person that any of the customers are going to be talking too, or asking questions, so I always respond-- and they get to humour the minimum-wage-gas-jockey by pretending to learn his name... Even though i serve some of these customers every weekend...

Anyways, I digress.

The main component of my complaint today, is people who try to pretend to know me in order to try and get free stuff.

"Can i have a free slurpee? Come on, it's just a slurpee? We go way back, Adrian, you and me went to Tweedsmuir together!"

What?

The fact that we went to the same school has nothing to do with anything. Something like 1400 people were attending Tweedsmuir when i graduated, not to mention the 1000's that graduated while I was going to tweedy, or the thousands that ended up going to Clayton or that other school that noone really cares about... Should I give them all free slurpees? Jeez, thats like 1/2 of cloverdale right there. And what about alumni and staff members. At least some of them were nice to me during high school.

And for Christ Sake! Remember the name I actually went by in high school before you start begging me for stuff.

I had two female customers come in today and say to me 'you look like that Neal guy who worked here last summer' (they probibly said Neil, but I have corrected their speech in order to make it the proper spelling).

These are customers that I do not know, and they probibly graduated quite some time before I was born, but they remembered my name (and they had quite the chuckle when I explained to them that was indeed the person they were remembering) and to top it all off, THEY DIDNT ASK FOR FREE STUFF!...

I thinkI'm done...

No comments: