Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Pair of Dice, Lost

Ah ha ha, my name is so witty... But it has nothing to do with this post...

So I am back from my mission trip (as Zach would say, I am done converting the heathens for now)…

It was all good times, and although I’d love to inundate you with all my stories, I wont… Go to Chronicles of an Informal White Dress (in the ‘other blogs’ section of this page) in order to read up on my antics… Cuz really, you’re all hear to find out how I narrowly avoided yelling at customers…

I wont keep you from todays hilarity any longer, on with the show!

An older man entered the store today, coming from the direction of a pump which had just finished pumping 60 or so dollars…

Of course when he got to the couter I double checked that he was the owner (its always best to check, you never know what you might accidentally swipe on a credit card)…

When he accepted that it was indeed his purchase, I asked if he had petro points… (remember this, its important later in the story)

The answer I received was a blank stare. Now, a blank stare usually means ‘no! wtf are you talking about?” Anyone in the service industry will tell you so (in the same way that ‘couple’ is ‘two’ and ‘few’ is ‘three’… but don’t get me started on that rant… COUPLE IS NOT A NUMERICAL ANSWER!)

After staring for a bit he opens his mouth to speak…

I hang off every word… I am more enthralled than I have ever been in the entirety of my life…

“dumaurier king size”

I turn to grab a pack, scan, announce total, swipe his debit card, complete transaction, and he makes for the door…

As he is about to leave, he turns around and says “I have petro points”

By this time the transaction is complete, and due to the nature of debit cards, it is not able to be redone…

This is where things start to get interesting…

He wants the discount you get with petro points (3.5 cents a litre)… I inform him that I am unable to give a discount once a transaction is completed (which is true for all but a few circumstances) as there isn’t a way for me to redo the transaction and that the discount can only be applied to the initial transaction…

I then inform him that I can give him his petro points by leaving a form which my boss takes to add points manually…

He proceeds to do the thing that has, thus far, pissed my off more than anything any other customer has ever done…

In a very condescending tone and with a big ‘I’m angry but I’m smiling’ smile he says “well that isn’t very fair to me, is it?”

I inform him of the plight of the debit card, and reiterate that the best I can do is give him the petro points…

He goes on to tell me that he’s had this happen before and that it was solved really easily, and that I was just too stupid to do it… Spoken through his teeth with a big old grin on his face

I was so close to jumping across the counter and throttling him…

My co-worker intervened and asked me (quietly) to go somewhere else for a few seconds while he dealt with him… I obliged…

When I came back the situation had been resolved… Mainly by my cowroker just giving the guy the $1.50 the guy would have saved directly from the till…

I was so pissed off… I told my employee about how I had asked the guy for his petro points and that he had ignored me… Grr!

I swear, Im getting too old for this… My poor heart…

No comments: