Friday, July 15, 2005

Sloppy Children

Yesterday was hot, and I was working the afternoon. I love working on hot afternoons,a s you all know simply for the fact that it means that the slurpee machine is going to be in full swing.

No kidding, the store was backed up about 15 people for about 45 minutes (even though there were two of us running the tills) but eventually the rush subsided, and I was left to survey the damage...

Of our slurpee cups, 6 of the 8 dispensors had been completely drained (I wondered why we were selling so many XL slurpees towards the end of it).

Of our straws, we were out of the colourful novelty size straws and were down to about 20 regular straws.

Of our slurpee, two flavours were completly depleted, and 2 more were on their way...

Of our florr, as im sure you can imagine, it was a colourful mosaic of slurpee goo about 4 1/4" thick, spread from the slurpee area to the magazines to the ice to the washrooms...

I am well aware that my time to clean is limited (slurpee runs always come in waves) so I frantically start stocking and mopping...

I get the floor clean and the straws out before there is a group of people waiting for their turn at the machine...

I am elbowing people in the backs of their heads in order to get the cups out, and I manage to get into the back storage in order to get the slurpee machines all up and running before all hell breaks loose...

The cycle repeats itself, with the back up at the till and what not, as soons as its died down enough I go in to survey the damage... Much the same... I clean stock and fix...

The floor is left to dry, and I return to the till... Not 30 seconds go by, and a man comes up to the counter (walking past the other customers politely waiting in line)

"there was a slurpee spill" [Translation: "I spilled a crapload of slurpee all over the place"]

I continue serving customers

"Excuse me, there was a slurpee spill" [Translation: "Perhaps I'll hide my obnoxiousness by being polite, so that you will listen to me when I tell you that I spilled a crapload of slurpee all over the place"]

I nod at him, and continue serving customers...

"Excuse me, can you clean up the slurpee now, please? [Translation: "Fuck face, I'm too important to take ownership over the things I do, but that doesnt stop me from having a low desire to trudge through my own mess thus stickifying the bottom of my oh so important shoe... And look I'll even use please to try to cover up that i obviosly think I'm a million times better than you by pretending to appeal to your own politeness")

I look the customer I was midway serving, and tell her that I need to deal with another customer... She turns slightly and gives him the scan-up-and-down glare, and nods at em like "Yeah, get rid of the prick"...

I clean up the mess, and return to the till...

Now some of you are probibly thinking I acted a little harsh... I mean, I didnt even see who made the ginormous 1.3L orange slurpee mess... But I have proof that I didnt...

You see, when he came up to the counter he was holding a soiled XL slurpee cup...

No comments: