Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Gas Cap Lady

So, if I have ever claimed to have met the most unintelligent person in clover, I take it back. This lady takes the cake... although, maybe she is from langley, the water isn't so good there...

Regardless, I will get on with my story with the following assumptions 1)this lady is from cloverdale and therefore 2) is easily the stupidest person in Cloverdale.

Picture this, a beautiful summers day. Birds are chirping, the sun is shining, somewhere children are kiling tiny creatures with magnifying glases or gasoline.

Now into this picturesque environment, insert rusted out Honda (cue lightning strike).

This lady pulls into full serve, whilst I am aiding a handicapped women pump her gas (for people with certifiable disabilities (generally people with one of the little blue signs), our boss allows us to do full serve at a self serve stall, freeing them from the discomfort of having to get out of the car and allowing them to feel much more generous when it comes time for tipping). Now the difference between self and full serve, or at least one of them, is that full serve nozzles have a catch so that you can set the gasoline to pump and then let go of the handle to go do other stuff. With self serve, there is no catch, so you constantly have to be holding the nosal in order for gas to continue comming out. SO needless to say, I had two options, I can tell the handicapped lady that she has to wait for me to come back and continue pumping her gas, or I can wave to aknowledge the lady in full serve and signal that I will be thre as soon as I can.

I opt for the second option.

The lady stopped in full serve, waits a few seconds, then gets impatient and revs her engine. Not once, but twice. This is not cool. I would put this at the same level as raising your hand and snapping for service at a restaurant, just plain not cool.

Anyways, after the second rev, I'm looking in her direction, and she is giving me the "I'm waiting for YOU to get your ass over here" look. Although, I was not motivated to help her at this point, I did not go out of my way to be slow. I finished my transaction with the Handicapped lady, and headed over to impatient lady. And this is where things got interesting.

**side note, in order to save time, and hopefully clairity, I will abbreviate a sound the woman made several times with the Symbols *#* Dont ask me why I chose these, because there is no reason. But the sound the woman kept making was kind of a huff/sigh, like the sound you would expect a 16y/o girl to make as she is walking to the door to go to her boyfriends house and her parents tell her she has to vaccuum the living room before she is allowed to take the car.**

I greeted her, *#* she complained about how long it took me to get over to FULL SERVE!!! Asked for $10.

I asked "regular?", *#* 'yes.'

I asked her to turn her car off. *#*, she does.

I ask her for the key to her gas cap. She tells me its unlocked. (Although it clearly had a lock on it, it is entirley possible that it was unlocked). I tried to open it. It was locked. (keep in mind this is not really the cap, but the little hinged door that covers the gas cap)

I ask her if she has the key to unlock the gas cap, *#* she claims it doesnt usually need a key, and begins fiddling around with the buttons around the left side of her dash. No luck.

I ask if her ignition key opens the gas cap as well (quite frequently it does). *#*, she puts her key into the ignition and starts her car up (totally not what i meant) and she asks me if its unlocked not.

No, I answer. *#*

She suggests prying it open, because it should be unlocked.

I try, but sure enough, there is quite a catch, and there was no way I could get it off with my fingers and no way without damaging the car.

I ask to see her keys, with the hopes of finding the one that opens the cap. *#*

She takes her keys out of the ignition, takes off all the keys but the ignition key, and hands it to me. Perhaps I was going to run off with her keys and sell them on the black market, which leaves me wondering, who told her.

Since it obviously wasn't going anywhere else, I try the ignition key in the lock. Perfect fit.

I fill her gas, take her money, and she leaves. Thank God.

No comments: