Thursday, June 17, 2004

Head Office

There is nothing so irritating as someone who makes it into the big leagues of a major corporation through a strict regiment of brown nosing and blow jobs.

Now I'm not saying that my current complaint is a prostitute, but it would appear that honesty and moral decency are not two of her strong points.

You see, we have a bitch from head office (I can now safely call her a bitch because 1) I'm sure she doesn't read this site 2) I don't need to work any more shifts with her and 3) I know what she's been telling my boss (not directly to my boss, but through the regional manager, I might add) about me)... anyways... She'd doing the last part of her training, in which she has to work three weeks as a GSA and learn as much as she can about our duties, responsibilities, and problems so that they can better understand where we are comming from when we call in with comaplaints/requests etc.

She is training at our store.

Now her primary duty is to do as much till work as possible, as that is primarily our job. There is no problem here, except that it means I have to find alternative things to do when she is working to keep myself busy (and there are only so many times you can mop the floors and windex the glass in an hour).

Well, it turns out I was doing a whole lot of things that she felt necissary to tell her superiors.

For example.

I was talking to Erin behind the counter (I started at 1pm, Erin finished at 1pm... the overlap of our shifts was exceptionally minimal, and she was (if I remember-- as this day seemed uneventful so i didnt store any of this into my long term memory) doing paper work (READ: not serving customers) when I was talking with her. (please also note that because I had not started my shift yet, and erin was wrapping up her shift (and you do not get paid if the paperwork takes you longer than your shift allows, neither of us were technically chatting on paid time)

Next is one thing that I will admit to being worng, but will not accept that she went to Head Office to complain about. I sat on the counter. At our gas station there is a counter which wraps around the till in a (sort of) U shape. on one end of the U, there is the tills, and the space where we serve the customers. On the other side is the lotto machine and a ledge which, conveniently, is the shape/size of my ass. I occasionally sit on it when my feet are tired, or there is nothing at the moment to do (out of respect, I stand whenever there is a customer in the store). Having 4 people on staff at the time (two regular workers, one assistant manager and one trainee) there wasn't a stone, thus far, left unturned, and I hopped up onto my perch for a few minutes. I don't know exactly what was said, but there is now a message in our internal communications book stating that if we are caught sitting up on the counter, we will be fired.

Next we have the infamous penny throwing incident. At our petro can, we have a policy that if you purchase something while on shift, you need to stand behind the counter and have another employee ring your purchase through (like you were an ordinary customer). One of our emplyess did just that. He had waited until there were no customers on the lot (let alone in the store) to make his purchase. I threw a penny at him. A single penny, with an underhand gesture. From the note chastising us for the complaint, you would think I was throwing bricks at the elderly amongst my sacrificing of kittens and listening to Led Zepplin records in reverse.

Finally, we have the instant where I snuck up behind Amanda and made her shriek. Amanda was not serving a guest; nor was I. Neither of us were doing anything dangerous that could have been disrupted by her surprise.

Im getting tired of typing, so I guess I'll close and ignore any complaints against other members of the staff.

Although I will admit that my actions as covered in this blog entry are not the most mature (or mature at all, really) the fact remains that I don't think they in any way hinder my ability to do my job, or my ability to do my job well.

With the three secret shoppers I have had in the last month I have recieved two 90% rating and one 100% rating. I have worked 9 hour shifts dealing with the types of customers charactorised by these blogs and have managed to (almost daily) end each shift with a smile on my face, my tasks completed to the best of my ability, and a following of protocol that has garnered me the aforementioned S-S ratings.

Although I do understand the need for seriousness in the workplace, I do note that my behavior is never directed towards customers, never hinders my ability to do my job, and has allowed me the privilage of being the proclaimed favourite coworker of three of the other eight non managerial employees at my gas station.

I guess there isn't really much else to say but "suck my cock too, bitch. there are plenty of positions I could put you in"...

(If only I could say that in real life...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As a person who has to deal with head office types on a regular basis I only have to say one thing about them "Special Needs". Nuff said.

neal said...

No kidding...

It seems that there is an unwritten code, that anyone working in a position of power (save my boss, she's generally really cool) must be 30-50 points lower on the IQ scale then is necissary to operate a toaster.

I think she'll fit right in.