Friday, June 24, 2005

Cake Taking

OKay, so I've complained about stupid people making stupid mistakes for well over a year now, but I think this one takes the cake...

If I had to retire this blog today, I think I could live a satisfactory life with this post being the big finally..

Don't worry, it wont be... but I dont think its going to go much higher than this...

An older lady was pumping gas... It was very slow, and most of my chores had been completed... so needless to say, I had involved myself in people watching...

And since she was the only one in the parking lot, she was the one getting watched...

Her [grandaughter?] had also gotten out... I think to coach her through the pumping proceedure... She was wearing a basebaall uniform, stained with grass, so I assume they were comming home for a game...

Neither of them really seemed to know what was going on, but since they managed to get the nosal into the car, i figured there wouldnt be any problems...

And there werent...

Untill...

Don't you love the suspense?

I bet you all are hanging off my every word...

I could go on like this for quite a while, and most of you will keep reading...

But I wont, back to the story...

At $20.00 the lady stopped pumping (I could see oth on the pump and on the till), but until the nosal is hung up, there is always the potential to start pumping again...

Apprently she didnt realize this, and when she puled the nosal out of her car, she was still holding the handle on...

Gas was now pouring out of the pump (at a rate of approximately 0.4L/sec-- personal estimate as to how fast our pumps go)...

She panicked (gasoline can be damaging to paint) and stopped pointing the nosal at her car, and proceeded to whip it around...

She is now pouring it all over her granddaughter...

Panicking again, she turns around more, wrapping the hose around her feet and tripping (still not releasing the nosal)...

It is only when she is sitting on a pool of gasoline next to her petrol soaked car and grandaughter that she lets go of the nosal, and gas stops pumping... At $22.34 = 2.6L (gas was 89.9) = 6.5 seconds

My first though is "Holy shit, so ass is going to light a cigarette and we're all going to die"... remember, cigarettes appear to be common practice with patrons of our store...

My second though is "where is that TBS number to call and ask 'how funny is this'" so they can tell me I'm allowed to be rolling on the ground crying because my diaphragm hurts so much...

Then I though... I should really get the absorbal and clean up the mess as much as I can...

They were both drenched in gasoline...

And I had no idea what to do (I dont think there is a section in our safety manual that says "if a customer rolls around in spilled gasoline, then..."

I told them to dry off as best as possible... After I sent them to the public washroom in order to wet down the gas stained articles of clothing as much as possible... And it took an entire bucket of absorbal to contain the spill...

7 comments:

Astley said...

I think if you called TBS, they would tell you that you could laugh histerically. I did. (I needed a good laugh, thanks).

Share said...

I told your story to a couple of my girlfriends today. One of them snorted pop out her nose and the other was wiping tears from her eyes. I would have LOVED to get that on video tape!

odesa said...

It reminds me of the tragic Gas fight from Zoolander.

Alyson Sunny said...

LMAO!!!!!! oh so funny.

the hammer said...

Unfriggin believable... You realize that now this IS going to show up in a safety manual. In case patron should becomed soaked in gasoline, proceed by not lighting a match and throwing it on them. Was that caught on the gas station surveillance tape?! hehehe, Hellooo TBS! ><>

Raven said...

Holy crap! That's awesome! FYI a Cigarette will not light the gas on fire that's a myth. Go home and try it. The Cherry fo a ciggarett is not hot enough to ignite gasoline fumes. Believe it or not! :)

Anonymous said...

You want to be nominated for the best blog in Canada nad then you spell nozzle wrong 3 times and screw up typing some (as in some idiot....burning..yadayada. Try agin next year