Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Children

It is with great displeasure that I present the gripe of the hour...

I have met, the single most annoying child in the entire world. I am not blowing things out of proportion at all. Trust me, I was pacing back and forth and I went outside for two bouts of 'fresh air' due to him...

He was probibly about 7 years old, and his parents had apparently sent him to the store to pick up a loaf of bread, and he had recieved 1.89 (or so) as change, which his parents seemingly told him he could spend on items for himself...

Today was really slow, so annoying him was near impossible, but I tried my best...

When he finally came up to the counter, I figured he was ready to buy something and go.

Instead, he wanted to bring my attention to the fact he didnt think he had enough money in order to buy the candy he wanted...

So I asked him what candy he wanted, and sure enough it was 2.11 (or so... I'm making these number estimates up btw)...

My feloow employee encouraged him to find something a little bit cheaper to buy, or to save his money for next time...

He pouted for a bit (in a way that did not entice me to forgo the .22 (or so) cents, and then continued his meander around the store...

He did a loop around the store and then came back up to the till again (again, I presumed he was ready to go.. again I was wrong) He now started talking about how good the candy was, but how he knew he couldn't afford it... He talked about not being able to afford it and how good it was for a few more minutes (I paused briefly to ignore him and serve other customers) and when I came back to him, I caught him mid sentance...

He was really starting to ignore me...

I finally snapped, and as politely and as sternly as I could I told him that if he went and grabbed the candy right away, I would pay the extra few cents for him...

He walked over and returned with a bottle of candy... I scanned it, cashed it through, and sent him on his way... Or so I thought... He didnt make it to the door...

He walked from the counter to the ice cream freezer...

He started pulling out things from the freezer...

After he had drooled over our selection of drumstick icecream bars for a few minutes, he returned all the things to their appropriate places and returned to the counter...

"I dont like this candy... it was gross last time... I don't like it anymore"

I was thinking to myself "you little fucker" and contemplating how effectively I could kick him in the head from across the counter...

(did I mention, I don;t like kids)

Anyways, since my flexibilty limited the kicking to zero, I decided to hear him out...

"Can I have my money back"

'Fine!' I think, and I give him back his 1.89 (or so)

"But it was more than that" (the little fucker was trying to get the money I had put in)

I ginored him... After complaining because I wasnt giving him all his money, and his complaining falling on all but deaf ears, he returned to the freezer, and pulled out one of the drumsticks, and returned to the counter...

I scan it and announce the price of 2.49 (or so)...

I don't have enough money for that... and the complaining starts up again... From the amount of bitching he did, youd think this drumstick would make him the happiest little shit in the entire universe... Like his mom was hooked up to life support but they needed .60 to power it, but he could choose to put that .60 towards his drumstick, he would choose the drumstick and all its chocolately goodness...

I of course tell him I am not going to pay for it... I may have even made mention to my retraction of the .22 (or so) cents I formerly offered him..

he went around the store, and between the aisels complainging about how much the drumstick meant to ho him and blah blah blah...

I had enough, and I went for a smoke break...

I came back, and he was still there...

My fellow employee (not in as many words) told him to shut up and choose comething cheaper, or go home...

He pouted for a bit longer, and then decided he wasnt getting anywhere, and left...

And so our story ends...

for about 15 minutes...

He comes back, claiming to have gotten money from someone on the way (why oh why wasn't it a man in a van with a puppy?)...

He still doesnt have enough though...

So if youd like to know what happens, just start reading this post from the beginning, and replace the word candy with the word drumstick...

Fuck I want to lock him in a cage and beat him with a stick...

But alas, I might have been fired (only if she didnt get a chance to see how annoying the kid is first)...

Gnight

2 comments:

Alyson Sunny said...

Y are little boys so annoying. Yeah working with one all day, we tend to avoid any kind of store that has money. Because he might have 10 cents but Alyson well she is made out of money. GRRRRRRR!!!!

odesa said...

Neal, you are so good. I would have pointed and laughed and told him that poor kids arn't allowed in the store. Then i would have told him i was calling the police because he was loitering..and that i was going to phone Santa and tell him he shouldn't get any shit for Christmas. If there is anyone who hates kids more then you.. its got to be me.