Monday, June 13, 2005

Weekend

So its been a few days since my last update.. I apologise.. I worked a lot this weekend and time that I wasn't working, I wasn;t sitting on my ass in front of the computer (I know its hard to believe but youre going to have to just accept it)...

Where to start...

If I said that I just had the most entertaining weekend of work ever, I would be lying out of my ass... It was, more or less, painful from the very get go...

Thursday night started off alright, I had reached my upsell quotient before 11pm (I know, woot woot) Thats when it all went to hell... People just stopped comming... Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be complaining about this, buts it has been a long while since I worked a weekday graveyard, and I have to say, it was dead... I was taking back to back smoke breaks to pass the time after I had done all my chores and whatnot...

And then, during the last hour where I'm supposed to prep the store to switch shifts (change the mop water, brew the different flavors of coffee etc), people just started swarming the store... Welcome to the weekday commute... Which I had totally forgotten about... Next thing I know, Im selling out of coffee as fast as I can make it, I have customers lined up at the pumps and at the till, I can't get the store in to lockdown to change the mop water, and I havent even started counting cigarettes...

The morning staff thought it was hillarious...

After getting home and having a brief nap, I woke up to go tux shopping 9cuz i needed a tux)... Follwed by movies with friends followed by another graveyard shift...

And let me say, this one was fun...

It started off busy (as fridays usually do)... My friends (who stopped by) noted how many more people are at our gas station as compared to the gas station of another friend... I had already attempted for 20 minues to clean up an amazing large slurpee spill (I think somneone somehow managed to hook a hose to the slurpee dispenser and allow it to flow directly onto the floor) of which no customer thought to inform me... but judging by the number of foot prints trudged through the store, they all went out of their way to walk through it... I was failing, more or less, at the cleanup, but I was at least able to get most of the colour gone... just not the goo-stick that I so much detest...

So back to my story... My friends are trudging through the store, trying to entertain themselves until I have a few free moments (doesnt happen too often, but they were hopeful) when Shannon (shannonspoetry.blogspot.com) informs me that someone had knocked over a conatiner of $0.05 candies... She then points at the purp. whom was trying to conceal his identity over at the sunglasses and magazine station of the store... I'm still trying to serve customers, so i bribe shannon and sharon (sharessharing.blogspot.com) with slurpees to clean it up for me...

After they are finished, and we have chatted a little bit, the guy finally comes up to the counter to pay for his things (a bottle of pop and a few candies) and informs me

"I may have spilled a few candies"

First off, this is several minutes after the initial incident, and a few minutes after the cleanup (which he was standing next to, and not participating in), and it was a large tub of candies... not a few... And why the fuck would you walk away from sucha big mess... And why the fuck would you admit to it, and then not apologise? Did he not see that i had to get patrons of my store to clean it up for him? did he not see that there was a lot of candy that can no longer be sold because of his actions?

I know, Im getting upset over candies... And I think I handled it really well... but I think I burned a hole through his jacket with my glaring...

And thats not where it ends folks (well.. thats where that story ends...)

Not more than a few minutes after this guy, two sketch guys come into the store and make some relatively sketch purchases on a totally sketch credit card, that had conviniently lost the magnitivity of its magnetic strip...

O of course, phoned visa...

It took about 10 minutes (maybe 15... I can never really be sure, Im horrible at guessing time)... But visa gave me clearance on the card, and everything was hunky dory... Except for the fact, that this entire time, I was not able to serve any other customers... who were lining up in throngs... and looking angrier by the minute...

I was throwing out free coffee and slurpees like confetti at time square to appease the horde...

I finally managed to get my baking started at 130 that night (normally it would be done and I would have been doing dished by that time) So needless to say, nothing got done... Especially when you consider that some drunk wench (I'm talking sleazy bar wench, not hot pirate ship wench) spent like 25 minutes going through the store looking for something to eat to make herself feel better... she was obviously upset about something... maybe she finally realised how whoreish kneehigh stilleto boots, short-shorts and a clevage based tanktop (sans bra) made her look... but who am I to jusdge, right?

While she was looking for comfort food, I was forced to do only duties which can be done in plain sight of the entirity of the sotre... ie: stock things, and clean counters...

Now, I dont know about you, but once youve cleaned a counter, it generally remains clean for quite a while (unless children are buying slurpees nearby)... so towards the end of her little shopping experience, I was banging my hear on the glass lotto display to pass the time...

My night ended rather abruptly... Like I said, I didnt have a chance to getmost of my work done, and so I was frantically running around to get things done when the morning staff showed up...

Saturday was a bit more entertaining...

A friend from highschool... Well, sorta a friend, we got along quite well, but we stopped talking after our school split up into clayton/tweedsmuir... Came in and ordered cigarettes... now my friend isn't actually the eldest looking fellow, but since he was in my grad class, he is, at the very least, 20 years old, and so giving him his cigarettes wasn;t a problem at all... in fact, I will go so far as to say it was a problem free transaction... Well... My having not asked for I.D. gave balls to the twelve year olds in the store, who proceeded to come up to the counter with (I'm not making this up... I don't think I could make this up) a bottle of orange crush, a pack of bubbalicious bubble gum, and, here's the punchline, asked for a pack of captain blacks...

I tried my darndest not to laugh... (It's happened 'fore that a person whom I though looked no more than 15 had two pieces of photo identification, and a health care card prooving that he was 27... I felt like an ass...) I asked for some ID, they said they didnt have any, I said no ID no sale...

The words that came out of their mouth after that was something I will not repeat here... I'm sure you can guess what sort of explatives they used (a few of them I've already used in this post)...

Then they go off on "you let that last kidbuy smokes without ID" to which I replied "you mean tyler whom I've known for 8 years and who graduated the same year as I?"

That shut them up... and they ended up not buying their candies and pop...

Fucking pretentious little shits...

But I digress...

Finally, I got called in for a shift sunday evening (I covered for a sick staff member... not because I need the added stress, more because I know that if I ever need a day off, it's better to have specific instances to refer to)

It was just a four hour shift... But we couldn't keep the slurpee off of the floor...

It was just spill after spill after spill...

I was considering doing a 'Hulk' like thing and picking the slurpe machines up off the floor and throwing them though the large glass wall at the front of the store, and then running through the streets causing havoc...

But I didn't...

And that was my weekend...

(I also ate quish, kabobs, lamb, basil, and pepperoni somewhere in there, too... but I figured that was implied...)

2 comments:

Alyson Sunny said...

wow, that really, umm all I can say is wow! Hope its better next week
HUGS

Kao Atlantis said...

...The joys of the service industry. :-\ I also hope your next shift is better, with more time so it isn't all rush, rush.