Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Eternally Debating the Cause of Sleep

So... funny story...

I was a little bit thirsty this evening, and decided that a nice hot chocolate would be in order...

But, since I have a milk frother/steamer, I decided to steam my milk, add the hot chocolate mix, and enjoy...

This went really well the first time, and I had the most amazing rich and creamy hot chocolate I've had in a while...

Please, sit back, and take a moment to enjoy that which was my hot chocolate...

In fact, my first sip was so splendiferous, that i knew I would have a second the moment I once again had an empty cup to put it in...

Needless to say, I knew I was comming right back, so i may not have cleaned my milk frother as well as I could have...

A few minutes went by (perhaps closer to 20) and I returned to my machine in order to prepare a second cup... In addition... Due to all of my oooo-ing and awwww-ing, one of the other dormies requested a soothing cup o' chocolate as well...

No problem

I decided to prep his first, I poured out my milk into a cup and put it under the steamer to let it work its magic...

Nothing...

I decide that it probibly just needs to heat up before its ready to go...

I check my msn.. A friend had something to say, I respond... Back to the steamer...

Still nothing...

I check to make sure it is on...

I scald my finger on the hot metal...

Why no steam???

I turn the machine onto espresso mode... Steam is forced through the empty filter towards the coffee pot at an alarming rate... I turn it back to steamer...

A little bit of steam escapes...

"that will have to do" I think to myself... I set my makeshift frothing cup under the steamer...

Thus begins what would set out to be the longest steaming of milk in the history of specialty coffee... I probibly could have rubbed my hands together and achieved more frothy goodness...

I turn the machine off, and set out to find the cause of my problem...

I start unscrewing things (dont worry, the instructions explicitly say that steam is not able to escape when the machine is turned off, unless you open the water storage... which i had no intention of doing)...

I remind myself a little to late that the metal is hot and Im not supposed to touch it...

I enventually find the source of the problem... The milk from the last frothing, due to the heat associated with the process, had baked itself into the steam releasing nozzle...

I clean it, reattach it, and then return to my hot chocolate making process...

Nothing could have prepared me for what happened next...

I place the makeshift frothing cup under the frothing unit... This is where I tell you my frothing cup is a retired wine glass (hint: round bottom)

I switch on the power...

In a show of brute force, the frother tells me "YOU NEED TO CLEAN ME EVERY TIME! ASSHOLE!"

Steam shoots out of nozzle at an unmanageable speed, knocking the cup out of my hand...

Thankfully Im not stupid, and the cup only falls a few inches to the table top, and lands right side up, and is held in a stand up position by the frother...

The steam, as if to say "Yeah right; I'm going to let you off that easy!"

The steam (which is still shooting out at unimagineable speeds) rounds the curve at the bottom of the glass, and uses it as a ramp in which to shoot all of the milk ~ 4' into the air...

The milk now sits in droves upon my desk, floor, and in the crevacies in my wall...

I wanted to die...

At this point in time, I'm in hysterics, but the steam is still shooting out laying a fine mist of water across everything on the table...

I eventually turn off the machine... Mop up the milk, and then return to the dormies room pretending nothing happened...

I hope you're all laughing...

I hope my room doesnt smell like sour milk tomorrow...

2 days 'till Bonnyville

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha....

A J Craig said...

Wow, I totally thought things like that only happened to me! Hehehe, that wasw totally wicked!

Anonymous said...

As the milk gets older it starts smelling like throw up.

odesa said...

Frothy milk! You kids have it so good@ My ancestors drank straight from the cow when they wanted warm milk.. and they didn't complain..(that much) eewwww I just pictured drinking milk straight from the cow and i am totaly grossed out.

Me.. I like steamed milk to, but i don't have the devil technology.. oh, and I like mine with a little bit of honey.

Any scalding burns Neal?

Unknown said...

I laughed so hard I literally almost fell off my chair. But not as hard as when the slurpee machine exploded...I still kill myself laughing evertime I think about that and wish I was there...*sigh* alas, I was not.
Good luck with the milky smell...