Thursday, October 06, 2005

French Films

So I bought a few movies back in August... I knew theyd be a few weeks to ship, so I had them sent directly to Edmonton (rather than having my 'rents ship them out for me...)

They arrived last week, I'm to lazy to check if I blogged their arrival...

Regardless, theyre here, and I watched them...

Synopsis

Nightwatch: Russian horror movie- I've been looking forward to this movie since its existence was brought to my attention some nine months ago... But after rumours of Fox butchering the fuck out of it, I decided to buy the unedited russian version... It did not dissappoint! Plot, Acting, and cool fight scenes so desperately needed in western movies... Theres a reason this is the highest grossing movie in the eastern european world (a claim I've seen, but not necessarily justified... so don't bite my head off if i'm wrong)...

The good news: its based on a three part novel by a prolific Russian writer... Think LotR with cooler accents...

Better news: the second movie is well underproduction even before the release of the first movie in the 'western' world... I think its almost ready to go to theatres...

Bad news: Fox has rights for the third movie (I think exclusive)... So I expect the butchering their doing to the american release of the first movie will be ingrained into the third movie *sigh*


B13: This movie is french and set in near future paris (2013 if I remember correctly)... Premise is as such: rather than solve the problems of urban blight, a large wall is built around a large swath of land on the outskirts of Paris... All the poor people are shipped in and, more or less, left to fend themselves... Drug lords and pimps take control, a plot is introduced, and 90 minutes of the most jaw dropping martial arts and chase scenes (and martial art chase scenes) ensue...

Good news: The uneducated people, and the ballers, even have subtitles that are getto-ized... I hope it was intentional... I dont think I could count the number of times 'is' was spelled 'iz'... but not for all the characters...

Bad News: ghetto subtitles were sometimes hard to follow...

Good news: did I mention, jaw dropping martial arts? Even I appreciated it... I dont appreciate guys jumping and kicking... I appreciated this...

Haute Tension: There is a reason this movie came free with the other two movies... Unexplained nudity, a ten minute masterbation scene, random shower scenes... and of course, since it is a 'horror' movie, an oral sex scene starring a decapitated head... Don't laugh, Im serious... With a sawed off head... Also featuring: freakish amounts of blood (I dont know if it was intended to be funny), bad dubbing (no subtitles... but the voice of the little boy would have made you wish there had been), predictable chase scenes, and a plot twist that would make M. Night Shamylan roll over in his grave... If Mr M. Night was in a grave... Which he would be if he watched this movie... he would die on the spot... and then commence rolling...

Bad News: terrible TERRIBLE movie... awful awful awful! Bad eww

/vomit on

Good News: The movie case is obviously foreign, so I look really cultured with it sitting in my collection... Oh, and it was free... Very very free...

Bad News: my gag reflex kicks in every time I look over my shoulder and see the movie sitting there...



So theres my movie list...

1 day until B'Ville!

5 comments:

morgan said...

I'VE SEEN THAT! (haute tension). twice, actually...i'm ashamed to say. it was absolutely terrible! a guy i know from res. is really hardcore about b-list and foreign films and he made us watch it. it's about two girls on a holiday or something, right?

A J Craig said...

I have been stoked to see Nightwatch for a while. I hadn't heard Fox was dong a hatchet job on it, I hate it when American studios think nothing of hacking away at the artistic vision of a film just because it's foreign and us North American folks is just too simple to get it. Don't suppose you could bring it with you at Christmas??? :)

Anonymous said...

hey neal, i finally found the time to write about my life again. you should be soooo proud!

neal said...

Haute is about two girls going to the parents house to study...

I'll bring night watch home...

Apparently it was too long and too occult-like for american audiences...

Have they learned nothing from LotR and Harry Potter?

-J said...

I've heard aabout Nightwatch, It wouldn't be bad to see. And as for B-list a foregn films, some of them are better then the stuff they make here. (Hitchhikers guide excluded)