Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sleepless Nights

So i'm back from Bonnyville...

What an experience... Squirrely-boy's family is almost as interesting as he is... I can totally see where he gets his little quirks from...

The town itself is... umm... redneck-hockey town...

I had the pleasure of doing an impromptu pub crawl around the town... I hadn't slept in two days when we left, so it was a good start for a night of drinking...

Rubbing arms with redneck hockey players... I was in my natural environment... We all know how much I love rednecks and hockey players...

They kept their distance from me, and I from them, so we managed to leave unscathed to head to the more "disco" like bar... I was tempted to bust a groove on the dance floor... Unfortunately I forgot my two-stepping shoes, for blaring through the speakers for the majority of the time I was present was country music... And not the good type... It was the reddneck type...

Two days of no sleep, combined with a small amount of alcohol, combined with a long walk home... Needless to say I didnt have any trouble getting to sleep... Or staying that way...

When I was finally awoken at 4:30pm (yes... I slept for the better part of 14 hours) I felt a little embarassed...

I got dressed and headed upstairs to apologise... only to find out that 'Mom' was just glad that I had not died in my sleep as she had suspected...

We ate, and then headed off went to (catholic) mass... There was a little bit of shock when I knew most of the order of service... Silly catholics... just cause us lutherans are heretics doesnt mean that we don't try to emulate you... I went in with an open mind... But I was sort of shunned during communion... I respect the fact that I'm from one of the heathen churches, and that we can't proclaim a unity when there isn't one... But for the love of God, give the lutheran his blessing...

I seriously thought I was guranteed a sign of the cross on the forehead... Apparently I was wrong... I got hurried through the line... no blessing for me...

So to spite them, I refused to worship Mary with them for the rest of the service... (I jest I jest... you dont worship her... you venerate her... right?)

Service was followed by sleeping... We woke up just intime to have turkey breakfast (in order to get back to Edmonton in any amount of decent time we needed to leave B'Ville by 1pm... factor in eating/cleanup, we started 'dinner' at 11am... or so...)

Needless to say, staying concious for the trip back to the chuck was a little hard...

But i managed to do it...

And then convince some of the dormies to go and celebrate thanksgiving the proper way...

Well, at least 'proper' like my family taught it...

Thats right, we went out to get smashed...

And I may have succeeded... a lot...

I havent worked my diaphragm like that since 1st year....

Anyways... I have an exam in a few hours... I should go study some more...

2 comments:

-J said...

Rumour has it that Catholic priests have a special 6th sense for indentifying us "heritics".

odesa said...

why is heritics in quotation marks? hah - yah that sucks neal. Everyone knows UKRAINIAN catholics are better anyways. the priest would bless yah and then pray for your poor damned soul.