Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fire Alarms

So I guess I shouldnt complain, as I had lots of warning that it was comming, but today we had a fire alarm...

But, as you will understand shortly, fire alarms are very bad for my health...

Reason number 1: On wednesdays, I dont have class until 4pm... I like to sleep in... subsequently, I know I get to sleep in, so needless to say i tend to stay up a little late tuesday evenings... I think I was in bed by 7am... (I should add that although I knew the alarm was comming, we were not told a specific date... so I couldnt have just wrote it on my calender to go to bed earlier this particlar tuesday)

Reason number 2: I am on duty on wednesday, making it my responsibility to ensure all the dormies in Founders are outside in a respectable amount of time... When the alarm went off (after scaring the crap out of me) it sent me into RA mission mode... I proceeded to go right to task of clearing the rooms... I got halfway out of my room before I remembered that I had just been sleeping... And that I may sleep sans clothing... No one was standing there, so it wasn't nearly as embarassing as it could have been...

which leads to reason number 3: Now I was left trying to get pants on while half asleep, embarassed, hurried and having an alarm blaring in my ear... Did I mention this is before an ounce of caffeine hit my system?

reason number 4: Now I had the task of removing all the people in dorm who didnt want to be removed... They were trying to sleep... Most woke up and left without incident after a gentle shaking by myself... But one did not (not a bright idea when you refer back to reason number 3)... I sternly reminded, using colourful language, that it was a very large fine if you were caught ignoring a fire alarm... I'm not sure if he was more afraid of the fine, or of me... Either way, he went outside...

reason number 5: It was cold! and since I was in half-sleep-RA-mode, I forgot to put on shoes and a proper shirt (it was just a tee)... Which would have been better if it had not been 5C outside... and we had to stand around for a 10 minutes...

reason number 6: When I am abruptly woken up, and I am sleep deprived I often get sudden and severe bloody nose... Today was no exception... Except I couldnt just run to the washroom to grab some tp... And I didnt want to draw atention to myself **disclaimer**: following lines not for the weak of heart** SO rather than bleed all over myself, or run around the building to the 'first aid' area, I just tiled my head back slightly and let the blood leak down my throat***

**end disclaimer**

So that was fun!

Did I ever mention how much I love my job?

gnight

6 comments:

-J said...

ooh.... Don't worry its all over for you now, the yearly fire drill won't happend again... unless someone pulls the fire alarm

Astley said...

So cool. I got to wear an orange armband as I was at work when it went off. People are soo stupid when it comes to fire alarms.

I was supposed to clear the mini computer lab. Most people left just fine, but there were a handful there packing up their backpacks, shutting off their computers, and just taking their damn sweet time. The lab monitor was in there saying "ok guys, this is a fire alarm. Let's get going". I have never heard someone so kind. I got in there... "GUYS! this is a FIRE ALARM! You need to get out NOW! Forget your bags, you can come back and get them. Let's GO!".

Computer lab patrons piss me off. Maybe I'll vent about their stupidity and annoyance on my blog. Hmmmmm.

By the way, I knew the fire alarm was Wednesday. I just didn't know when (although I as prepared for it to happen during me work hours....Murphy's Law and all.)

morgan said...

umm...eww...nosebleeds are gross.
you should at least feel glad that you aren't getting woken up periodically by a swift kick in the shin from a half-cast. that hurts.

Anonymous said...

Am i the only one who noticed you said tuesday instead of wednesday in one of your paragraphs??

neal said...

Fixed

Anonymous said...

Remember when you were writing about what a great parent you would make, because you did your job so effortlessly? Parenting is a job that goes 24/7 for years and years. You are growing up so fast and learning all the time!