Saturday, December 17, 2005

Is It Wrong to be Sad?

I miss my dormies...

Oh well...

Today was a good day... I helped out with Santas Anonymous... Think non-profit organization intended on making less fortunate families have a present induced Merry Christmas...

We joined in with several hundred other do-gooders, lining up outside the warehouse which temperarily houses the Santas Anon. presents and staff...

I learned VERY quickly four important things...

1) At -20C, it is important to wear gloves

2) At -20C, it is very important to wear a touque

3) At -20C, it is very important to not think that "a long sleeve shirt will be warm enough"

4) At -20C, sandals are NOT appropriate

So needless to say, I looked a little out of place... You could spot me in the crowd very quickly...

I was the one jumping up and down and rubbing every appendage together so that I might prevent them from freezing and falling off...

The line moved quite quickly... Usually when you get that cold, time slows down, as a funny way for God to say "Clothing was invented for a reason"... Oh wait... the snake... Does that mean there wasn't snow in the garden of eden? I suppose that would make sense... Then are clothes a tool of Satan? I knew my lack of underwear had scriptural support...

I digress...

We signed up to delived bags of presents to 20 households... Not a small undertaking, especially when you consider that carrying four of the bags out to the van almost killed me...

And by killed me, I do mean that some of the children might get dented boxes cuz theres no way in hell my arms were gonna let me carry those bags all the way to the car in one go...

About half way back, my left arm was just like "screw you buddy, you can do this yourself"...

Anyways... After getting chased through the parking lot a little bit (not an important story, really), we were off in order to start delivering the gifts...

Some houses were really good... You give them to the mom or dad and they're so thankful and what with ll the "merry christmas"'s and the "god bless"'s... But then some houses, the kids would answer...

And I'd be standing there thinking to myself "okay... two options... I can hand this kid the bag, he might look inside, realize what these are, realize there isn't a santa, become jaded and depressed, bottle it up inside, and kill 30 people in a postal shootout when he turns 34 OR I could turn around with the bag and run to the van...

Of course I always chose the postal shootout option, but there was always that half second of contemplation...

Oh... And this is your warning... There may be a rash of shootouts at edmonton post offices in 25-30 years....

After delivering about 4 bags, we decided we needed a break, and went for lunch... Which ended up being soup... Which endedup being appetizers and soup... Which ended up being appetizers soup and sandwiches... Which ended up ebing appetizers, soup, sandwiches, and tea... Which ended up being appetizers, soup, sandwiches, tea and a board game...

So... Now the days almost over, and we still have a van full of presents to deliver...

Needless to say, we kicked it into high gear, and got them out as fast as we could...

I then came back to dorm and have veg'ed out every since...

I miss my dormies...

3 comments:

Holly said...

As do I. Today has been one of the slowest days of my life. Only 5 to go...

Jenn said...

and your dormies miss you.

Anonymous said...

so here i am at my brothers house, reading the well-written blog that neal has put on this well cool real awesome thing we call an internet. and then i realize........"wah!!!!!!!!!! i miss school, and more importantly my creative genius friend here" but soon i will be home and be able to repress these feeling into that deep dark empty space in my body and then let out all my feelings and agression on a cashier at safe-way that gives me change for a five when i gave her a ten. hmmm come to think of it i have yet to lash out on any one this year so maybe thats not a bad idea


oh well....

-matty k