Thursday, December 29, 2005

Spaced Out

Why?

Why do I do this to myself...

I hate working in retail... I know I do... well... at least I hate working in retail where normal people can afford to shop...

I want to work at a place where people who have been taught how to behave in public shop... I want to work at a place that people are excited to go to... where shelling out cash for my services is a blessing and not a requitement...

I think I want to work at starbucks...

No one goes to starbucks cause they have to... no one expects to save money at starbucks... everyone walks out of starbucks happy with their purchase and without having annoyed the barista...

Okay... mayeb I lied a bit with that last one...

But regardless...

Today might not have been such a bad day if it wasnt so boring...

I had finished the menial tasks of stocking and sorting and cleaning by about 2 hours into my shift... leaving an additional 6 hours fo rme to stad around and watch dust collect on the counters... so i could clean them again...

And to add insult to injury, the people that came in tonight were FAR from what I would consider intellectuals...

"um... i was umm... wondering... umm you know if... um... you know... umm... you sell oil here?"

Was that even a sentance... seriously... I was barely able to stay focused long enough to follow his pseudo sentance... Combined with the fact that he was standing less than a foot away from the oil display (128 oil containers with everything from 5w20 to 20w50)

Then a lady who just dropped her credit card on the counter and walked away...

She came backa few minutes later... stuttered a few syllables about export a light... and then stood in the candy isle staring at the mike and ikes for a good 15 minutes... (I asked what she was looking at)...

and then theres the guy who pulled into full serve...

I greeted him outside, informed him he was in full serve, that the price was more expensive, and that I would be mroe than willing to pump his gas if he so desired...

He didnt even aknowledge me...

I reiterated, as he got out of his car, that gas was more expensive, i cannot override the price difference, that i would b willing to pump his gas... and then I added that he can also just pull around to one of the other pumps...

he ignored me some more...

I stood there, waiting for him to respond... he just continued like it was any other gas station...

I started explaining the situation a third time and he interrupted me to tell me that i might as well just start the pump (until i give the word, the pump is halted inside) because his wife was already inside waiting to pay...

just then, the passenger door opened, and a lady exited, walked past me, and into the store...

I stared blankly some more...

Then I went inside...

If there was a way for me to tack an extra 10 cents onto his gas, I would have done it...

Oh well...

My feet hurt...

My head hurts...

My stomach is empty...

I think im done writing for the night...

No comments: