Friday, September 09, 2005

Friends

Have you ever pad to have a friend?

I know 40 students who have...

I am, more or less, paid for two roles. I am a semi-authority figure (ah ha! go me!!!) dishing out a nice mixture of rules and punishment. Easier said than done for most, myself included. I want to rain down fire as on Gamorrah, but more often than note a gentle "okay guys, come on! =) " is more than sufficient.

My second job is to make these poor students feel like dorm is their home. Well, it is their home, but I need to give it that "country fresh-baked-apple-pie-with-gramma" home. As such I am obligated to be friendly with all the residence of founders hall, and attempt to build personal relationships with each and every one of them... The little tykes...

I feel like a coach for a peewee baseball team sometimes...

"way to go guys" [wow this is lame] "you're doing great" [I wonder whats on TV right now] "keep up the good work" [do I still get paid if they quit?]

You know how it is...

Sometimes I just can't win... And although trying is fun and all, everyone knows winning is the important part...

For example, who finished last in the tour de france? (I dont actually care, so you don't need to run a google search to find the answer so you can pretend you knew it offhand)

Bet you can tell me who won though...

Winning is important...

But for some reason I'm having a problem with this whol being friends with everyone in dorm.

The prize is a friendship. And the reward is a paycheck.

And therin lies the problem. My motivation for being friends with these guys is a paycheque...

Even if the guy ends up being really realy super cool, and we would have been the best of friends in the very end, I will always have, on the side, the idea that I may very well be their friend simply for the paycheck...

I felt guilty tonight. We have a quota of how much 1 on 1 time we're supposed to spend with the different residences... I met the symester quota for one of the guys already, so technically I am not obligated to spend any more time with him if I dont want to... But the only reason I know how cool he is lies solely in the paycheck I will be picking up tomorrow afternoon.

I know I should be viewing this as an opertunity, especially since I often find motivation a hard concept to understand...

Oh well, I'll give it a little while longer and see if the feeling goes away...

guten Nacht!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'
d pay you to be my friend... but.. you already are my friend... I think that I should be paid for some of the friendship that I endure (oh wait... that is called my family! Still, I should be paid to be around some of them!).

Think of yourself as lucky... if only I got paid to be friends with 40 people... I'd be their guru or something. I wouldn't feel guilty at all...

MWA HAHAHAHA

Jenn

Alyson Sunny said...

Hmmm. Paid to be a friend. Here lies the question, who is paying us to be your friend?? No I am kidden! maybe I should become an RA and then, I could be paid for being friendly. I like it. But no.

Anonymous said...

Funny your mom sends me a pay check ever few monthes for being your friend....I kinda like it

Alyson Sunny said...

Where is my pay check? I know i get one for being friends with S&K but clearly I should be getting paid for Neal. Maybe I should talk to your mom.

*Unless Regan is saying MY mom pays her...... I knew there was a reason..*

-J said...

Look at it this way, now you are given the opportunity to make new/more friends then you may have made if you didn't have that job. And in the end you may come out with maybe just one more person in the world that might help you out in the future. As for the paycheck... well I'll let you figure that out.

J